Ron Cascone Memorial Scholarship
Scholarship Sponsored by NexantECA
Ron Cascone was a voice of wisdom and wit at NexantECA and a tireless champion of the innovative technology behind greening the chemicals industry. Called by Biofuels Digest “the Sage of Hastings-on-Hudson,” over his 53-year career, over 30 years of which were with Chemsystems, Nexant and NexantECA, Ron’s big personality and keen expertise had an outsize presence in our lives. When we lost Ron in March of 2021, he left behind a legacy not only of his many contributions to the field of chemical engineering, bio-renewable technology and green chemistry, but also legions of grateful colleagues who benefited from his generosity, his mentorship and his enthusiasm.
The NexantECA Ron Cascone Memorial Scholarship is NexantECA’s way of honoring our departed colleague and continuing his passion for making the world a better place using engineering and chemistry. We want to empower the next generation of leaders and experts in bio-renewables to pay forward Ron’s life’s work – and that’s where you come in.
This is more than just a monetary award. We want to be on hand to give you the opportunity for the same mentorship and expert commentary Ron gave us all. We want to help you experience what it’s like to be truly at the frontiers of our industry, to have insight into the complex systems that undergird the greening of the chemical industry, and to spar with world-renowned experts that Ron helped us become.
The scholarship awards 3 students per year up to $5,000 towards their tuition, as well as offers opportunities for mentorship and real-life experience from one of the top industry consultancies in the world. Awards will be made twice per year, once in May and once in August. Awardees are automatically considered for a paid summer internship or senior year co-op work opportunity at NexantECA.
- The closing date for 2023 application for May consideration is May 19, 2023.
- The closing date for 2023 application for August consideration is August 18, 2023.
Who are we looking for? (Eligibility)
- Full-time students in a 4-year undergraduate program
- US citizens or permanent residents
- Rising seniors studying chemistry, chemical engineering, or materials science
- Attending an institute of higher education in:
- One of the 5 boroughs of New York City, Rockland County, Suffolk County, and Westchester County, or
- The Greater Houston Area (Harris, Fort Bend, Brazoria, Waller, Austin, Montogmery, Liberty, Chambers, and Galveston counties)
How can you apply? (Application)
- Provide a resume and current transcript
- Write an essay of up to 1,000 words on the following topic:
Ron Cascone devoted his life to helping the energy and chemicals industries become more environmentally friendly and sustainable. What projects or issues in green chemistry are you passionate about? How will you use your studies to follow Ron Cascone’s example?Go to Scholarship Application